Friday, April 27, 2018

Mythological Monsters , Strange beast of the orient!

Now what I have to show you guys probably isn't going to blow anybody's socks off but for me this has been a decade in the making. Long ago on a forum I used to frequent somebody made a post titled "Strange blue beast of the orient!". What was in that post was a couple of the most amazing toys I had ever laid eyes on.It has taken 8 years but I now have 1 of the two dragons from that post and a little bit of its history.







now what really peeked my interest in this fine beast was a single photo from that post.I have been drooling over this picture for years and years .


to me this group shot was just sooo amazing .It's Galaxy fighters Dragoon Soma Fantasy World Dragon Man and Galoob Golden Girls Dragon Queen. After all this time I am now able to recreate this picture that drove my search for so many years .Here is my version:

The history with these monsters is a shadowy ,murky mystery but it seems that one source for these two was from that catalog filled with random junk ,The Archie McPhee catalog. Here I have a page from one of them that I think is from the late 1970's or very early 1980's.
Our fine beast also showed up in a Pee Wee's Playhouse calendar from 1990 (Im not sure why it say 2012 in the picture on it because it is most assuredly from 1990.)


I would be amiss if I didn't point out the striking similarities between this dragon and my beloved Froggacudas. The rubber/plastic used for the dragon is a spot on match in color and feel to froggacuda as is the paint colors and application style .These facts lead me to think that these dragons might have been made by Arco or at the very least made in the same factory.
These guys are super hard to find and can cost a pretty penny but are well worth the time it takes to find them.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats man!Great detail on that dragon.A toy from a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Im not going to say what it cost me lol These old rubber /plastic dragons and dinosaurs have really became one of my favorite things to hunt for.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Its always great to get a grail piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!It would have been great if I could have found it at goodwill though lol

      Delete
  3. Awesome bro! Love getting grail stuff too! I almost recreated the Creepshow shelf a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thats cool ,The only thing from the creepshow shelf is the incredible hulk .I really regret trading my krusher.

      Delete
  4. Neat find. Mission accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola saludos desde chile encontré uno desde estos dragones verde ..gracias por el post y la información

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...