Tuesday, June 12, 2012

League of Extraordinary Bloggers

This weeks League of Extraordinary Bloggers Theme over at  Cool and Collected  Is:

Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Hollywood Treasure, Storage Wars, Toy Hunters, Auction Hunters, Auction Kings — the list of reality TV treasure hunting shows goes on and on. If you could spend a week with the crew from one of these shows (or one that I missed) who would it be. For me this was a fairly easy decision .

When I was a teenager I was ask to help clean out a storage locker that belonged to an elderly woman,That day gave me a traumatizing incident ( think  Arachnophobia meets Hoarding: Buried Alive ) that to this day has left me with a deep distrust of storage lockers. Instead of going out and looking for the treasure myself  I think it would be fun to share knowledge about the items with the owners, So my choice would be either :

Gary Sohmers: pop culture expert and appraiser of toys, collectibles, and memorabilia on Antiques Roadshow

  Or
 Noel Barrett appraiser of Antique toys and advertising memorabilia on Antiques Roadshow
 Between the two of them they have knowledge that covers pretty much everything Im interested in. Just think about the thousands of rare awesome items they get to see everyday while sharing information with the item owners  that will keep them from being swindled by Mike and Frank.

Check out what other leaguers had to say :







8 comments:

  1. I can absolutely understand your fear of lockers, I guess I just need that kind of discovery in my shows though. Catch 22 I guess. Good Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.I can watch the show with not problem but going out and doing it is something else completely.I also have no interest in digging through junk piles in the deep south...snakes bites just aren't my thing.

      Delete
  2. I too suffer from acute arachnophobia....but living near Lake Erie has cured me of that....there's big spiders all over the place here !!! Antiques Roadshow is great though, they always have some real interesting pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like picking up a box and discovering that a spider that looks like it could eat a cat was living on the back of that box and is now up the sleeve of your hoodie...good times.

      Delete
  3. great post, brother! We share the same thoughts on this genre. ARS is the thinking man's treasure chest, in my opinion. :) On the contrary, I have no fear of digging through garbade to find a transformer missile or lost micro-machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well garbage is ok but a heaping pile of rust with weeds growing out of it sitting in some thick snake infested woods is a no fly zone.I have more than once been caught digging in a box of toys left for the trash pickup, large trash pickup day is great for that.

      Delete
  4. I actually met Gene Sohmers a few years back at a local antique show. He was a really nice guy and we chatted for quite a while. I was happy to buy a Batman squirt gun from him! ;) http://coolandcollected.com/hey-i-know-that-dude/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats cool, I briefly met the Keno brothers a few years ago when they where here with the road show.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...